A Growing Market = Opportunities for You
Ageing Population & Pressure Ulcer Epidemic
As our population ages, the healthcare system is having to learn to deal with an increasing number of elderly patients with complex needs. Every day for the next 15 years, 11,000 people will reach the age of 65 in the USA and Canada.
- 1 in 6 elderly patients with a pressure ulcer will die within 1 year.
- Each pressure ulcer costs facilities approximately $16,500 in treatment costs for one month.
- 22% of people in a hospital or long term care facility have pressure ulcers right now.
- The clinical trial with Ulster University showed that the Seating Matters chairs helped reduce pressure ulcers significantly, a huge clinical achievement and a dramatic cost saving for healthcare environments.
Opportunity for you
Official statistics show that the use of wheelchairs has increased by 90% in the past 8 years.
We can save 1.6%-2.4% of healthcare budgets spent treating pressure ulcers, through our Pressure Management Program. A staggering cost saving whilst also improving quality of life for patients.
- Obesity is becoming a worldwide challenge, as rates have nearly tripled since 1975.
- In North America, approximately 50% of people are overweight and 36% are obese.
- There is a lack of proper bariatric seating and care options available worldwide.
Opportunity for you
Close to 10% of medical spending is spent on bariatric patients.
Seating Matters developed The Bariatric Sorrento chair – the worlds only tilt in space bariatric chair – exclusively for patients of up to 650 lbs (45 stone).
The Bariatric Sorrento helps to accelerate a patient’s rehab, and can lead to shorter hospital stays, meaning huge potential cost savings for facilities.
The Legal Case
It’s common for care facilities and hospitals to face legal proceedings after a patient has developed a pressure ulcer in their care. People are more educated now and realize that these are avoidable, serious injuries and so are treated as neglect of the patient.
Settlements costs associated with legal cases for medical malpractice for pressure ulcer development average at $250,000.
As such, facilities are strictly monitoring pressure ulcers and patient skin, and are actively looking for methods to reduce/eliminate the incidence of pressure ulcers. This is where Seating Matters can help, relieving some of the burden from their already very busy workload. We offer training and chair rental services with the potential to save facilities millions worldwide.
The growth of the healthcare industry, and within Seating Matters in particular will be exponential in the coming decades. Seating will become a larger and larger market as healthcare systems move towards keeping people at home for longer and keeping people more active. In addition, in other markets throughout the world, Seating Matters supply a larger range of equipment than is currently available in North America. This includes a larger range of adult seating and a range of pediatric chairs. For people joining Seating Matters, the addition of new products and product ranges means that there will be significant growth for many years to come.